Saturday, September 20, 2008

Stinky Elections


So I didn't want to write about the elections. I will frequently turn off the radio or change the station when there is yet another round of analysis. Also, in my recent reading of A People's History of the United States, Howard Zinn repeatedly makes the argument that electoral politics creates a government safety valve for the people's anger against the inequality and injustice that exists in this country. Well, I mean he talks about how over and over again, energy and anger that might of gone into strikes, protests, and direct action was redirected into elections for people who have not and probably won't change the fundamental structures that create the inequality and injustice. That said I have just two things to say about the current elections. I will keep it brief and leave the interpretation up to the rest.

1. I feel that over and over it has been implied that Sarah Palin's being a mother of 5, a "hockey mom" makes her less qualified as a leader - That argument is total malarkey - at the same time, I sincerely hope we do not elect her as a vice president or Mccain as president for many other reasons.

2. Come on, we HAVE to elect Obama - he probably won't bring about all the fantastic change he speaks of, but we need whatever change we can get at this point - and yes, my reasons run a liitle deeper - i am hoping everyone will develop their own though at this point. if you have questions or comments, please comment :)

No comments: